LONDON, United Kingdom — Tuesday 17 January 2012—Psion (LSE: PON) today announced the Omnii™ XT15 (buy here from Legacy Technology Services), its next generation rugged handheld device. With its toughness, reliability and extended battery run time, the Omnii XT15 represents a new landmark for rugged mobile devices.
In these uncertain economic times, leading industry analyst firms recognize the compelling benefits of an adaptable product platform. “Customers are looking for mobile business solutions that will continue to drive productivity and extend product life beyond three years. Psion’s Omnii XT15 provides customers with the flexibility to adapt their handheld devices in the future, by replacing modules with the latest technology available, thus extending the life of the product,” said David Krebs, Vice President, Mobile & Wireless, VDC Research.
“No other company in our industry is offering such compelling adaptability and value. Choosing Omnii means you benefit from an economic proposition that is as strong as its technical leadership,” said John Conoley, CEO, Psion. “When customers buy the Omnii XT15, they’re not just buying a product, they’re buying into a unique product family. Omnii is the most customizable and upgradeable platform in our industry. As customers’ needs evolve, their Psion Omnii devices can evolve with them.”
Key features of the Omnii XT15
- Modular upgradeable rugged design – Certified for IP67 and IP65
- Multiple data capture modules – Range of imaging and laser scanners from multiple vendors
- Extremely rugged and upgradeable display module – Proven to withstand 1.25 Joule impact with zero degradation to touch performance
- Eight interchangeable keyboard modules
- Tri-Sensor technology – Accelerometer, digital compass and GPS are all standard features – essential for Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Extended battery performance – High capacity battery and new architecture enable a continuous run time of 20 hours (including scanning and wireless usage)
- Expanded wireless capabilities – Includes WAN, 3.8G HSPA+, 2G EDGE and 802.11b/g/n
“We continue to meet the need for rugged and reliable devices for our customers in the transportation and distribution, manufacturing and industrial, and wholesale trade markets. The Omnii XT15 is a significant addition to our company portfolio of products and an important step in our mission to develop devices based on our open innovation model that help our customers to transform their business,” said Conoley.
The Psion XT15 is now commercially available in all major US, European and Asian territories. List pricing starts at $1,999.
*Percentage calculated on the cost of the hardware and software.