Zebra (formerly Motorola / Symbol) DS457 Fixed-Mount Area Imager (2D) Barcode Scanner
Zebra (formerly Motorola / Symbol) DS457 Series Next-Generation Fixed-Mount Imager Barcode Scanner
Somewhere, a flight is sold out at a busy airport, and to stay on schedule the passengers must board quickly. The checkout line is growing at a popular boutique and the customers are not happy. An engineer struggles to add direct part marking into his space-constrained product design.
The Zebra DS457 Fixed Mount Scanner Series can help, delivering fast, high-volume hands-free scanning of virtually any barcode— including 1-D, 2-D and direct part marks DPM). No matter what type of barcode is presented, or whether it is printed on paper, etched into a product or displayed on a mobile phone screen, the DS457 Series provides fast, accurate scanning in a tiny footprint that fits in the most space-constrained areas.
Get Hands-Free Convenience and Extraordinary Scanning Speed on Any Bar Code…on Any Surface
Enable high-volume hands-free scanning from the retail POS and airport boarding gate to the manufacturing production line with the Zebra DS457. With comprehensive data capture, your workers can scan virtually any bar code — including 1-D, 2-D and direct part marks. No matter what type of bar code is presented, or whether it is printed on a paper label, etched into a product or displayed on a mobile phone screen, breakthrough digital imaging technology delivers extraordinary scanning speed. The tiny footprint fits in the most space constrained areas. Workers can choose presentation or trigger-activated mode, providing the flexibility for a wide variety of applications. And while the DS457 can be integrated into a wide variety of products, its sleek design is just as at home in customer-facing areas, such as a retail counter.
True Best-In-Class Performance on All Bar Codes
With stunning performance on virtually every bar code — 1-D and 2-D plus direct part marks — your workers can capture bar codes as fast as they can present items for scanning. There is never a need to pause between scans, protecting productivity.
Fits in the Smallest of Spaces
The tiny DS457 is ideal where a zero or minimal footprint is required. At just 1.15 in. H x 2.3 in. L x 2.44 in. W (2.92 cm H x 5.84 cm L x 6.2 cm W), this device can be mounted just about anywhere — attached to the register or under the counter for a true zero footprint on the retail cashwrap to a space-constrained manufacturing cell or airport gate.
Scan Bar Codes on Practically Any Surface — Including Mobile Phone Displays
Your customers are rapidly adopting mobile bar codes — electronic versions of tickets, boarding passes and loyalty cards that can be carried right in the mobile phone. Since the DS457 can read bar codes on mobile phone and computer displays, you’re ready for this next generation bar code, protecting customer convenience, customer service quality and employee productivity.
Flexible and Easy to Integrate
The DS457 can be used as a standalone scanner or integrated into the most space-constrained products to bring world-class scanning performance to mobile computers, handheld scanners, self-service kiosks, medical and diagnostic instruments, lottery terminals and more. Integration into your product designs is easy — there is no optical, mechanical or electrical engineering required. And in the event you already have a Zebra Miniscan deployed today, the common interface allows you to simply swap scanners to cost-effectively boost scanning performance and quality — no re-tooling or redesign of the installation area are required.
Users Are Up And Running in Minutes
Full omni-directional scanning eliminates the need to precisely align bar code and imager. A unique aiming pattern with a bright central dot ensures quick, accurate scanning — even in the brightest lighting. The result is a highly intuitive scanning function that increases worker productivity, virtually eliminating the need and cost associated with training.
Four Models to Meet Any Application Need
No matter what type of bar codes you need to capture, there is a model that will meet your needs.
- DS457-SR: Combination 1-D and 2-D bar code scanning. This standard range model is designed to meet the needs of a wide variety of applications, offering the largest working range possible on the largest variety of bar codes.
- DS457-HD: Optimized for comprehensive 2-D bar code capture. We took the DS457-SR Standard Range model and optimized the focus functionality to accommodate the very tiny and dense 2-D bar codes frequently found in manufacturing. Electronic manufacturers can ensure the right part is used at the right time on the production line. And pharmaceutical manufacturers can track product as it is produced and packaged to meet track and trace regulations.
- DS457-DL: Combination 1-D and 2-D bar code scanning plus driver’s license parsing. We added driver’s license parsing to the DS457-SR Standard Range model to enable the instant decoding of the bar coded information on any state driver’s license in the U.S. as well as other national ID documents to support a wide variety of value-added applications. At the retail POS, the DS457-DL allows effortless auto-population of credit and loyalty cards, as well as easy and error-proof age verification.
- DS457-DP: Comprehensive support for 1-D and 2-D bar codes plus direct part marks. This powerful model starts with the high-density scanning capability of the DS457-HD, and adds new algorithms that ensure easy reading of anydirect part marks. Workers can easily capture even the most challenging direct part marks, including low-contrast marks printed on black plastic, black rubber, steel and cast-iron.
World Class Support For Maximum Uptime
For true service peace of mind, our Service from the Start Advance Exchange Support program offers next-business-day device replacement to keep your DS457 imagers up and running. And since built-in Comprehensive Coverage includes normal wear and tear as well as accidental damage to internal and external components, unforeseen repair expenses are practically eliminated. The result is an extraordinary lifecycle, extraordinary uptime — and a truly outstanding ROI.
Markets and Applications:
POS, ID verification, mobile coupons and loyalty card scanning, auto-fill of credit and loyalty card applications
Error proofing on clean conveyors in electronic manufacturing, track and trace in pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Travel and Transportation
Scanning of mobile and paper-based boarding passes and tickets at airports, train stations and bus terminals
Access control at border crossings, military bases and more
Integrate into a broad range of devices, from self-service kiosks to medical instruments
- Four models to meet any data capture need
- SR (Standard Range) designed for 1-D/2-D intensive applications with medium to large bar codes
- HD (High Density) for the tiny and dense codes common in manufacturing
- DL (Driver’s License parsing) ideal for 1-D/2-D applications that require the capture of U.S. driver’s license ID information
- DP (Direct Part Marks) for rapid capture of every type of direct part mark, including dot peen, laser etch, chemical etch, inkjet, mold, cast and thermal spray; capture marks on virtually any surface, including metal, rubber, plastic and glass
- Scans any bar code on paper, mobile phones and computer displays
Scan virtually any bar code on any medium; supports the mobile bar codes your customers are embracing
- Comprehensive data capture — 1-D, 2-D, and DPM codes, driver’s license parsing, still images, video and OCR
Diverse series that can meet any fixed mount hands-free scanning need
- Powerful 624 MHz processor, fast sensor shutter speed and patent pending fastpulse illumination
Delivers extraordinary scanning speed on all bar codes; increases throughput and productivity
- Tiny footprint
Fits almost anywhere; enables ‘invisible’ under the counter installation
- Sleek design
Suitable for design conscious retail stores and other customer-facing areas
- Mounting accessories
Easily mount wherever needed — on cash registers, under counters and more
- Omni-directional scanning
No need to align bar code and scanner; improves ergonimics and user comfort
- Unique aiming pattern
Bright central dot ensures quick, accurate scanning — even in bright sunlight
- Scan trigger
Can be used in either presentation mode for hands-free scanning or on-demand scanning via integrated scan trigger
- Supports 123Scan2 configuration tool
Enables rapid and easy customized set-up through a free, wizard-based PC software tool
- Compatible with SSI and SNAPI command interfaces
Expands application flexibility with fast, simple communication plus support for advanced features between imager and host
- Optional software developer kit (SDK)
Provides familiar Microsoft® Windows 2000 and XP platform support for rapid development of applications that integrate easily into the customer environment